Saturday, January 26, 2008

What's Good About Today


Today was the fifth anniversary of my morning group, What's Good About Today. They started out 5 years ago in a small room in the back of a church, about 6 people or so. Now, 30-40 people show up on a regular basis and there were over 60 or so there today. We meet every morning Monday thru Saturday at 7 am. It was not the first meeting I attended but I believe it was the first meeting where I felt at home. The chair of that days meeting was so self assured, confident and "normal", I felt safe. Because it was a round robin, it was the first time I said, My name is Kathy and I am an alcoholic. That was huge. I listened to everyone share what was good about that day. The day was only a few hours old but everyone had something good to say, even if it was just, I woke up sober and in clean sheets. I identified. At the end of the meeting they give out chips and Chickie the woman next to me urged me to colled my 24 hours to 29 day chip. I was way too frightened. No way was I going to stand up and walk in front of all those people. But I promised her I would come back to get it. After all I had up to 29 days to do so, right? Well I did. That promise kept me going. Her spirit shined down on me. And I've been going to that meeting daily ever since. The continuity, the fellowship, the singleness of purpose has kept me sober. When I stopped drinking I felt like I had lost my best friend. But what I gained was a roomful of best friends. I feel close to every single person in that room on a daily basis. Whether I like them or not. I love watching people grow. I love growing. When I finally came to AA, I thought I would just learn how not to drink but what I am learning is a new way of life. I have been given a gift and it is one I will be forever grateful for.

4 comments:

molly said...

glad you are here Kathy!!

johno said...

Lovin your gratitude!

Pammie said...

lovely post kathy. What a blessing that you found that group.

Shadow said...

a gift it is, i can hear it in your voice...