Monday, January 14, 2008

Therapy and Centering Prayer

Well the 2 things I am checking out this week.

Therapy: I appreciated the comments from Irish Friend and johno on this topic. I'm not pro or con, and I am not at a critical point as a result of my fourth step, not falling apart or anything. (well, except when distant priests say, whoa, heavy!) Not really sure what I'm looking for. I've seen a therapist once before. I was falling apart when I started taking care of my Mom. I went to a friend's therapist and by chance she happened to specialize in geriatric issues. So she helped me alot in wading through the muck. But for my issues, well, I wasn't honest and never opened up. And I appreciate the teachings of Eckart Tolle or Ken Wilbur but it is a one sided conversation. My sponser gave me a card for a therapist that is in the program so I feel like at least she'll get that part of me. She does equine based therapy. That sounds interesting to me. I just feel as though I've got some stuff to work out that would be better suited in a professional capacity. My degree is in psychology so I do have some degree of respect but I also have a degree of disrespect. I backed off from becoming a social worker because, 1) flunked out of college (real reason) because I was drinking to much, 2) but also because I realized that someone like me (a drunk and a mess) was going to make decisions that affected other people's lives. So I took the step and I'll meet with her Tuesday which is cool because I meet with my sponser after that.





Centering Prayer: One of the things I appreciated the most during the Retreat was the moments of silence. They were longer that we get a meetiings. I feel like I get closer to God and I also like the collective experience. So I have been researching this thing called Centering Prayer. You can learn more about it here: http://www.centeringprayer.com/cntrgpryr.htm and here: http://www.explorefaith.org/prayer/essays/center.html. It seems a local church is offering workshops and a meditation chapel for the purpose so I am checking that out as well. I feel as though I need a bit more discipline in the praying. We also have a Friends Meeting House (Quakers) in my town so I may visit them as well. I guess I'm looking for a way to better connect with the Spirit of the Universe.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's snowing like crazy here so looks like it may be a day off from work. Peace.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Kathy,
Hey it sounds like you are really working hard with all these centering prayers and Quaker stuff, blimey, you are making me feel guilty, I just do my weekly meeting, a daily prayer morning and night plus a bit of meditation which I usually end up falling asleep.
And when it comes to asking the ladies out I am a complete wimp, Ill psyche myself up then end up talking about something else. I lack so much self confidence, I guess thats why I drank in the first place, didnt I, you know I dont like being like this but I have to accept it.

Jenn said...

I hope both your meetings are good for your soul Kathy. I look forward to hearing about them. I ended up going to a meeting and a therapy session today. My stomach was in knots all day, but I feel like it was all for the best. Goodnight friend.

Michael said...

Hi Kath,
Snow over there, I wish we had a foot of snow or more even, in the UK snow at winter seems to have become a thing of the past.
I had a great night last night BTW, feel good today, I need to learn how to Act, I need to make my own soap opera

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Sounds interesting! Im sure you will put the experience to good use, whatever happens.
yeah i love silence too. its a great thing to be able to enjoy silence instead of being filled with restelssness.

Syd said...

I like the moment of silence and wish that it were longer at meetings. I like the centering prayer. It must be nice to see a bit of snow.

johno said...

Spirit of the Universe... has the largest hands ever... I have no monopoly!

I love the silences although I am developing through breathing and yoga of feeling quiet even living by noise. And also I can be noisy inside when its silence outside tooo.

Anyway, explore, things, sounds interesting all of it.

I stayed in a Quaker retreat last year. The silent time was unusual because it wasnt dramatic, but then as each quiet time came around I looked forward to it. It's like nothing I have ever experienced. Food was great too!

Try stepping outside into the snow, stand still look around at the snow, feel the air on your face and breathe in and out, deeply and breathe in and out in and out and breathe.

The spirit of the universe is right with you :)

Enjoy exploring.

Pammie said...

Thanks for the link. This is such an interesting and profound journey we are all on..don't you think? All of us just trying to be the person Gods believes we can be.

Michael said...

Hey Kathy when you adding another post I keep popping in

Shadow said...

hey! that's some logical reasoning going on there. well done with your decision.

Michael said...

Hi Kathy
Its Michael here again, High stress job, I just couldnt do one, I know I was educated that way but it all fell apart after I graduated, I no longer had a clue what I wanted or where I was going in life, so well I ended up here, and you know what I wouldnt want it any different now!