Sunday, November 11, 2007

Five Months

Unbelievable! I think this might be the longest time I have ever gone without a drink not counting my pregnancies. I did have a period of time in 2004 (after I ruined Christmas dinner and the house filled up with smoke. Remind me to tell you about it sometime:) and I honestly do not remember when I picked up. Somewhere between 4-6 months. When I thought I could handle alcohol. The difference is I am sober now. Not just not drinking. The difference is I don't feel as though I am missing anything. I feel as though I have gained something. The difference is I am searching my soul and liking what I find and with help removing what I don't. The difference is I have a program. The program of AA. The difference is I am not alone.

So thank you to all of you who so freely share. Not sure where I would be had I not found this forum where I am learning to express myself and where I am gaining experience, strength and hope. I am grateful for finding the Spirit of the Universe which has allowed me to connect because I believe that connection has allowed me to heal.
Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.

9 comments:

johno said...

Hand in Hand with the Spirit of the Universe! amen.

Keep coming back... it gets better!!

Congrats on 5 months! an amazing journey of recovery and discovery... when you look back on it.

Your blog is further evidence to me that it works..when we work it!

Lots a love
Johno x

Judith said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Five months is awesome! It's so incredible you've done it the way you have. I had to do the rehab route. You've come a long way, baby!

Hugs!
Judith

Shadow said...

once again, happy happy 5 months!!! you are sounding great and doing great and keep on doing what you're doing...

Michael said...

I was just going to reply and then the internet went down again at our works.
The longest period I did prior to getting sober in 2004 was 6 weeks without a drink that was in two periods in Jul 1990 when I was in hospital for 12 weeks.
I managed to get my mate to sneak a few cans in around the six weeks mark but a nurse found the emptys after that I wasnt allowed anymore till I got out.
Oh that first night out I got smashed in my bedroom and loved it and on the second day I dragged my motorbike out and rode it to the shop, you know this was after getting 33% burns and being in hospital 12 weeks.
I then went to a friends house and stayed there for a while!
Well done anyway Kathy!
Dont forget me will u

Mary Christine said...

Happy Five Months! That is a long dang time without a drink!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 5 months! I meant to email you but I misplaced your email address. I stopped the Woman for Sobriety Group and have started with the AA program. I'm finding it more helpful in recovery.

Again, congratulations you are inspring many.

Maura

molly said...

good for you! THANK YOU for being here girl! Here's a big ole cyber hug and kiss - MWWWWWWAH! YEAH YOU! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day :)

Recovery Road London said...

Good work, Kathy

One day...at a time...

:)

Syd said...

Congratulations on five months. It sounds as if you are strong. And the St. Francis prayer is great one to live by.