Monday, November 5, 2007

Fellowship



Trouble is a part of life, and if you don't share it, you don't give the person who loves you a chance to love you enough.--Dinah Shore


Just as gravity keeps us grounded and connected to the earth, our fellowship keeps us bound to sobriety. The fellowship available to us in our Twelve Step program keeps us in reality. A problem pondered in isolation seems immense; the same problem shared by those who truly understand is manageable. We need other people from the moment we are born. We need to be included, to feel we're a part of something larger than ourselves. Our spirits hunger for contact from others, and thirst for a relationship with God.Our fellowship is there, a warm, friendly, and accepting family. Our Higher Power loves us. We are not alone, no matter where we travel, no matter how large our problems seem at the moment. Our joys are doubled and our sadness diminished through the sharing of our hearts.
Today help me listen carefully and give as well as take so I may fully experience this gift of fellowship.

You are reading from the book:
Body, Mind, and Spirit by Anonymous, Copyright 1990 by Hazelden Foundation

I am just beginning to understand the fellowship part of this program. And it is a wonderful thing. The connections we make, I believe, are symbolic of our connection with a Higher Power. The transmission line, if you will. I am grateful that I can be there for a new sober friend who is in the hospital. I am grateful that I have sober friends that I can discuss my understanding of a Higher Power. I am grateful to have attended my first sober party. I am grateful for the support I receive in the rooms and here for my trials and tribulations and for my thought process. It's just a wonderful thing. Pure and simple.


3 comments:

Shadow said...

as much a we sometime like to think we can do it on our own, we were not made to... humans are social animals. we need one another. we just need to be reminded of that sometimes.

Pammie said...

Not only is your gratitude showing, but it is beautiful.

Michael said...

I know what u mean, its good to know that there are others like me who has panic attacks at meetings but like you say we need them.
Hey I love that mickey post, brilliant hit the nail right on the head there.
I need my weekly meeting but like all medicine, for me anyway it is hard to take but I guess the hard is what makes it good if u know what I mean