Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ups and Downs

What a rollercoaster ride the last week has been!

My son graduated high school!

My son was identified in facebook party photos (trespassing, underage drinking) annonymously sent to the police.

The principal negotiated with the police to wait until after graduation!

My son is drinking.

The owners are not going to press charges for trespassing!

The police need to save face and may pursue the underage drinking.

My son went to the prom with his beautiful girlfriend!

My son's foot is the size of a football due to an infection.

My daughter joyfully came home for the graduation cake in hand!

My daughter left vowing to never visit again because she couldn't find her bathing suit.

I am feeling incredibly proud of the tall young man I gave birth to!

I am feeling incredibly melancholy that time has passed so quickly.

My son loves his graduation gift of skydiving and cash!

My daughter feels slighted for the laptop she was given 2 years ago.

I chaperoned the all night senior celebration event and my son was glad I was there!

I was up all night and exhausted.

My cousin visited from Virginia and we had a great visit!

My 89 yr old great uncle passed away after a 3 year battle with leukemia.

My boss graciously gave me time off to deal with this stuff!

I still have to work.

Got the house organized in time for company!

I haven't had time to pay my bills.

I could go on and on....but I won't. I will just be grateful that I am sober today. That I know what to do during the highs and the lows. I may not always remember on the spot but I get there. Thanks to this program. Today marks 2 years since I last drank. That day began with a decision to never drink again. A decision I could not keep because I am an alcoholic. What I did that day is the epitiome of the doctor's opinion. I rationalized and self justified a trip to the store to buy alcohol so that I could quench the obsession. And once I had one I could not stop drinking for that day until I passed out after the Soprano's finale. I still wake up in the morning making a decision. But the decision is no longer that I will never drink again. The decision is to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand Him. And it has worked. Thank You.

10 comments:

Syd said...

Glad to see you're back after so much going on. It's all about life's ups and downs isn't it? And how we trust in our HP to be with us through thick and thin. Hang in there.

Shadow said...

2 years?!?!?! hugs and laughter and joy!!!!!!! love ya kathy lynne!!!

lana said...

Thanks for sharing your life and congrats on 2 years Ms Kathy.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

wow. 2 years!!!!!
cool :)

yeah. sounds like you have a whole LIFE going on there.. all the bells and whistles!
Sounds like the song Bittersweet Symphony..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3m4e45bTo

steveroni said...

It has worked! Thank you.

Kathy Lynne, WHATEVER works! I'll buy it!

Life IS 'big (I am glad, HAPPY!) to know you are dealing with it on it's terms--sober.

I'm also happy for your two years, and that you must now realize it is not 'easy' for ANYONE.

Peace.

Hope said...

Congratulations to you!

Wait. What? said...

Congrats on the son graduating that is so wonderful - and scary - high school - ooof its so close for me now - but still far enough away not to have to really look at it for my boys... yet.

Sorry about your loss, you have many things going on and its impressive that you are staying the course. Nice work!

Carol said...

a)I sincerely don't think I could have made it through your week.

b)Hugs, see you in the morning!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations :) I love an AA birthday. They're the best kind!

Judith said...

Wow. Two years already? And you're handling things that used to baffle you.

Congratulations!