Monday, June 22, 2009

Made a List

We were discussing Step 8 on Thursday night and I've been mulling this post ever since. As I have written here recently, I am currently writing my fourth step. This is not my first one. I began writing my original fourth step in my 3rd month of recovery. Taking the fifth step with my sponser around the 8th month. I remember discussing the rest of the steps with my sponser, moving on to 6 & 7, was I ready for 8 & 9, etc. She kept asking if I'd made my list. I thought I had (even though it was not in black and white) and I had begun making amends. I made an amends to my best friend and former roommate from high school, to my husband, to my daughter and then I stopped. I stopped because I began the process again. At some point, after attempting to sponser a couple of women and realizing that I wasn't confident in doing so (at least to my liking), I began the steps again, conceivably to get a better grasp. I understood that I had done a thorough and honest inventory but it was the best of my ability at 3 months sober and as I progressed through recovery I felt I could do a better job. And in doing so could perhaps do a better job at helping other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

As we discussed Step 8 Thursday it occurred to me that when my sponser and I had talked about making this list she kept suggesting I write it down. Made a list of all people I had harmed. I didn't do it. Me, who follows all suggestions! I had it in my head. I figured at some point I'd write it down but I didn't and I begain my amends without doing so. And then I stopped making my amends from my air brushed list because I was starting over. I now had a step study sponser with the blessing of my first sponser. We began at the beginning of the book reading it together, taking the third step together and now I'm writing my fourth step. It seemed reasonable to not continue with amends.

But I've been thinking. Is it possible that I started over, not necessarily for the supposedly altruistic motive of better carrying the message and becoming a good sponser, but more because I didn't want to make that list in the first place and continue on with the amends? The next person on the list in my head is my son. A tough cookie to talk to. One who doesn't necessarily want to hear it. One whose sole means of communication is one word responses and one word texts. Am I really simply trying to avoid that? And isn't it better to make that amends to the best of my ability whether or not I am there in the process? My son has a lot of pent up anger and resentment towards me. I am not doing him any favors by not addressing it. Some of it for sure is simply developmental, he's a teenager, just graduated, moving on and separating. Some of it has nothing to do with my alcoholism but simply Life 101 that kids tend to blame their parents for, we had to move out of town, financial matters. But some of it is a direct result of my alcoholism. Can't be easy coming home to your mother who's slurring and swaying or worse, snoring in complete pass out mode. Anyway, I talked about it at the meeting and I'll talk about it with my sponser. It's true what they say, more will be revealed. I had really convinced myself that becoming a better sponser was my motivation to going through the steps again.....and yes, that's part of it.....of course...but I cannot deny anymore that perhaps a bigger part of my motivation was FEAR...fear of making amends....and what they may or may not bring.

Pretty amazing how when your eyes are open to the presence of God, you can suddenly see. Sometimes it takes a hit over the head....it did in this instance. I had to be embarrassed by some woman making a public comment about my son's attitude towards me and my husband. My first reaction was anger and self pity. But thankfully, because I am in recovery, that didn't really even last the car ride home. I took an honest look at myself. The Step 8 meeting came right on the coattails and it became evident to me what was happening. Godsmack.

14 comments:

Syd said...

I used the list of people from my fourth step inventory as the list for my amends. It helped me to write down the names. Step Nine isn't easy and it may take years but it is the effort and willingness that is also important.

TAAAF said...

Deciphering our own motives can feel impossible at first, but it does get easier. For some of us, letting ourselves off the hook is a life-long habit; others have the guilt-stick always close at hand. Great post.

Carol said...

You be jammin' on those steps!

lana g said...

i wonder if it would help to not make a huge deal out of the amends 'meeting' since it is a younger person. ? maybe that would help make him more at ease. to be light-hearted serious (if that makes sense).. not that it isn't important - not at all.. just perhaps the more at ease YOU are may make it lighter and more meaningful for you both.

that's what came to mind for what it's worth :)

lana g said...

i wonder if it would help to not make a huge deal out of the amends 'meeting' since it is a younger person. ? maybe that would help make him more at ease. to be light-hearted serious (if that makes sense).. not that it isn't important - not at all.. just perhaps the more at ease YOU are may make it lighter and more meaningful for you both.

that's what came to mind for what it's worth :)

steveroni said...

Funny...I'd never have been "ready" to sponsor someone. When I began sponsoring, after about three months, that's when i really started to learn, call on-the-job-training.

They told me, "Just keep one step ahead of your sponsee--he'll never know the difference!

(But do not listen to me, PLEASE! -grin!)

Shadow said...

time changes thinking and perceptions. so to me it makes perfect sense to re-do something now and again...

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I've found that God will use ALL means possible to help me to understand the enormity of Him, which means my Higher Power will produce events and ideas in order to move me to a Greater Purpose.

This takes a lot of guilt away, and shows me a much larger picture. Sure the truth is that I am inspired by a good idea, that I want to be a better sponsor, the realization of the truth only serves to enhance my ability to become a better sponsor by understanding the selfish nature that is underlying and the self-less nature of my movement to accept my selfishness and move toward an unselfish goal.

Thanks for this awesome illustration today, I've been contemplating some truth in my life too (the truth of who I am and the desires of my heart and I think you just helped me burst another bubble and come to even greater understanding)!!!

One Prayer Girl said...

Sounds like you are right where you are supposed to be....the light coming on....how wonderful. I just love this program of ours.

Prayer Girl

Unknown said...

I do the steps over and over, and I have done three fourth/fifth steps since I began in AA, this has helped me immensely and agree with Steve that I will never feel ready to sponsor, but I just show up and shut up and work the steps, I am okay.

I hope that this cycle for you will be one that brings you great peace...and like Syd said 9 can take a lifetime...but just be open and willing...
Love,
G

Carol said...

Hey Kath,

How do I add an e-mail address to the sidebar on my blog? It doesn't seem to fit as a gadget, Syd has one on his blog. I'll ask him but I don't know if he has a blogspot set-up or not.

See you one of these mornings,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Keep moving forward, Kathy. Some real honest stuff here. Everything is happening exactly as it is supposed to. We are not in charge.

RipGurl said...

I can see how sponsoring someone is the key to staying sober after reading your post. I am not currently in an AA group and know that I risk lapsing should I hit a wall, with no group to be accountable to. The success I can see in you is due to the growth. It is the growth that keeps us moving in the right direction. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Banana Girl said...

Where are you darling? BG