Sunday, May 3, 2009

"A Non-Toothache is Very Pleasant"

I am reading this book and it is changing my life....I will be seeing Thich Nhat Hanh in October (thanks Molly) and have listened to him on CD (thanks again Molly) and everytime I think or hear the word "happy", I hear his voice, "you will be very happy".

My lack of mindfulness the other day caused me to almost run a pedestrian over. He wasn't really a pedestrian, he was doing landscaping on the rotary in my town..standing on the brick (where we are not supposed to drive) blowing leaves, etc. He couldn't hear my car because of that and the fact that I drive a Prius, that when in battery mode is silent. I was maneuvering the circle, attempting to make a call, something on the radio, etc. Never even saw him until I was about 2 inches from him. I slammed my brakes, he looked up...and I was horrified. Apologized profusely, he was very gracious and I continued on my way....shook up. Needless to say this was the same day that I experienced the shoplifting incident. Or was it???

In the BB story Acceptance is the Answer,,,,as I discussed in an earlier post....it says "if you focus on the problem the problem increases..if you focus on the answer, the answer increases." I believe by writing, by asking for help, by praying, I focused on the answer and I believe the answer came. When I sat alone with it, for that first day...I was focusing on the problem and almost killed someone (well , that may be a bit of exaggeration but you get my point.)

I consulted 2 elders of the group, just as the business meeting was commencing Saturday. And one of them said..."How do you know?" "You cannot judge." "How do you know she did not pay for it later?" "How do you know she did not put it back?" I cannot know this unless I ask her and that would have to be done very delicately, since I did not do it in that moment. It is not uncommon for people to leave notes for the bookstore manager about purchases they intend to make or return to pay for something. I have done it as has this elder I consulted. She asked..if it had been me..what would you have thought? I would not have assumed shoplifting. So yes, I was judging. She also suggested that I not blur the line between my membership of the AA group and my role as volunteer of the bookshop. In other words, sure if someone approaches me and asks if they can pay for something because they know I can ring it up, do it...but to actually announce, the book store is open for business after the meeting...is blurring the line.

I am very grateful for this. I have been asking, yes do the the next right thing but HOW do I know what is right? And the answer was..you will know. It will feel right. This feels right.

6 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

life is so much easier when we get a second opinion :)

TNH is soooo cool. i find him a bit mindblowing. Its very easy to feel utterly wiped out while he talks. the hardest thing to do is stay awake :) its a real struggle to keep the eyes open for the 1hr 30mins he talks for. heheh weird. anyway its normal to feel like that so if you know ahead of time you will not think something ? strange has happened when you find yourself struggling to stay awake after 20mins of his talk :)
you will have fun girlee.
pay attention to any dreams you have close to the time you see him. either before of after. and try (without jostling) to sit physically near him or near the front. if poss. bring tissues!
he will probably do some walking meditation, so if you practice a little beforehand it will make it easier

http://books.google.com/books?id=vdY6vrDSU3kC&dq=Hanh+walking+meditation&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=aKPJ0fzYUF&sig=wSDUzTbR1ScoIUWyt3g1EZEKbpY&hl=en&ei=qMr9SfaWC6DLjAfUp9yiAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPR3,M1

have fun :)

Akannie said...

Hey, KL....

I love TNH and have read several of his books, too. It's a very simple plan for happiness and contentment in a crazy world.

You be careful out there...that sounded terribly scary.

Glad you were both okay....

Akannie said...

Hey, KL....

I love TNH and have read several of his books, too. It's a very simple plan for happiness and contentment in a crazy world.

You be careful out there...that sounded terribly scary.

Glad you were both okay....

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Regarding the bookstore... WOW! That's amazing... turned my head around and I heard a gigantic POP!

"Does it need to be said, does it need to be said by me, does it need to be said by me now" takes on a whole new meaning (again!)

The trust in God shows that I don't have to carry him into fights when I'm not sure about something, it says that God works with or without my help, and I get to open my head even more to the Greater Idea that I am responsible for my own conduct, but not for the conduct of those around me. :) Awesome!

molly said...

so so glad you like the cds and are going to see him. he IS in fact coming to Mississippi and have plans to go with best friend. i'll let you know as I think i'll be seeing him right before you do.

as you know, i'm addicted to byron katie's work at the moment and now almost every time a stressful thing happens my mind goes straight to: IS IT TRUE - can i ABSOLUTELY know that it is true. And sit in that space while the yes or no comes. VERY revealing - that intelligence inside us all. Not to say the girl didn't do it but it puts enough space as to react less with judgement.. suspending it until more is known.

there is so very much we just can't and never will know for sure and THAT more than anything - that becoming comfortable with NOT knowing.. the DON'T KNOW MIND is so wonderful! The I KNOW mind is the one that seems to cause all the suffering.. thinking that we SHOULD know when we don't and being okay with that.

ya well, whatever. i'm far out there most days lately and i am not sure if i ever make sense to anyone but me.. but i guess i will keep trying.

love ya honey,
molly g

Syd said...

Yes, I see what you are saying. The bookstore is a different situation than AA--and it is better to not judge but to ask for clarification. There's a big difference.