Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Poor Husband



I don't know why it is. Our history. I feel safe. I can unleash my fears, doubts and insecurities and then hide in our dysfunction. Which of course leaves me feeling restless, irritable and discontent and the whole cycle starts again. And of course he's got his own stuff and pushes the buttons both intentionally and unintentionally. But the thing is, I can be a very nice person..notice I said I can be....I am kind, tolerant, patient, thoughtful, empathetic, open minded and loving with everyone ELSE but my husband. The Dunkin Donuts clerk gets more respect from me than my husband does. The obnoxious a*hole at a meeting does too. I feel really bad about this and I'm working on the causes and conditions. I hope and will continue to pray that I can get to a place where he can receive the benefits of my recovery. I have to trust and rely on God that this will come. Until then, I MUST make a conscious effort to restrain my natural impulses. I haven't. But I made a huge step this morning. I apologized. I said all of the above to him. I'd made an amends to him before but this was different. Because this had more to do with now than the past. Every morning when I ask God to direct my thinking...I need to be specific with regards to this man I have been married to for 22 years.

I was thinking this morning that my whole life up to 2 years ago was that paragraph in More About Alcoholism. I had no idea I was an alcoholic for a very long time. In my early 20's I had a moment of clarity when I thought maybe my problems were related to alcohol and I went to an AA meeting. Then I thought maybe it was about God and I kneeled in the back of a church and cried. But I didn't find an answer. So I dropped out of college and got a job. I changed bedrooms in my house. ( a very small geographic cure:), I got my own apartment, I went back to school, I changed jobs, I got married, I had children, I moved again. None of these things changed what was fundamentally wrong. And my drinking increased to the point, Thank You God, where it finally became very clear what my problem was. It was slapping me in the face. I am ever so grateful that while I was blind I didn't kill anyone.

8 comments:

lana said...

sometimes i think i have SEEN my husband so many times for so many days and years that well, i stop REALLY SEEING him as he truly is. i see him through the filter of an old idea, an outdated image but what is THERE is anything but what IS in reality.

recently, i wrote a list of what i thought of him.. went something like 'good person, asshole, strong, good with dogs, fears what others think of him,' ETC. I turned all the negatives in the list to positives and found examples of where the opposite was just as true. I also realized he was a projection of what i thought of myself at the time and i didn't like me very much so, well if i don't like me, i don't like him/you.. just the way it goes it seems. it was an interested exercise. but it allowed me without a lot of effort to SEE him differently.. like with a new set of eyes or something. just a recent experiment/experience that helped.

when i have a problem i look to ME.

steveroni said...

Ohhh! Kathy-Lynne, you are SOooo one of us! It makes me inwardly very happy when I see another who is real, that is real honest about themselves.

When I think like you are writing, I am NOT thinking about drinking, and the chances are good that I WON'T!

Oh, thank you for being here still.

Syd said...

Very good post and wise words from lana. I do the same thing--not really see and not really hear the other person. By taking anyone for granted, I've become jaded. When I respect myself, I also respect another. And when I love myself, I love another too.

Carol said...

I guess the best amend is to change your behavior. But everyone here knows that sometimes when you really want to change is when you are most drawn to that activity. Coupled with the fact that you live together and are entwined 'in the dance' makes it very difficult. I say it a lot but anyone in a relationship deserves a lot of credit!

Banana Girl said...

I could have written your last two posts. I know exactly what you are feeling and thinking and praying about. If I ever had the glimmer of thought that I am uniquely not an alcoholic, you helped smash that for today. Thank you. You are a great friend in this journey of sobriety and it is always amazing what happens when we quite trying to change them. I think you are a lucky woman to have had a man who can see you for what you can be and hang on to that. I know I am grateful for mine. Thanks for the reminder. J.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I'm coming up on 3 years with my hubby...it's a record since I had two before and neither lasted 2 years as legally wedded.

For some reason working the steps changed my whole perspective on life, love, marriage....suddenly I'm living in a whole new world!

I hope God continues to show me that beautiful man that shines underneath the tarnish of my ideas and expectations... cause he really is beautiful!!! And I really do love him :)

Thanks for this post. I'm glad we're not alone!

Unknown said...

What a great post, and a great song from Nirvana, if I could use this post I would to my own family and husband who is just as confused as I am about most things most days. Thank you for just being open, honest and willing...you teach me.
G

Wait. What? said...

If I had read this sooner maybe I would a had that 'ding' go off in my head - its so weird for me to see myself through others - but strangely comforting...


My lack of respect lately for my husband has me doubting if I am even in the right place right now...