Thursday, May 21, 2009

Listening For God


I think what trips up a lot of us when we fist start coming to believe..or at least it was true for me..I pray and then wait for something to happen. Wait for instructions on what to do. I've spent a lot of time these last 2 years running around to sponsers, oldtimers, and others with my situations looking for direction. First do this, and then do that. They usually say to pray on it. And I'll pray and wait. And nothing. I don't "hear" anything. But then again I'm expecting one thing and getting another.

I think its the fear, doubt and insecurity that gets in the way of our ability to listen. I"m not sure its actually something we need to "listen" for but as we continue prayer and meditation and get closer to God we get washed with grace and then we can act in harmony. Does that make sense? I get there sometimes. I haven't "heard" anything but I feel alot. It feels cleansing. Like being washed. I can sense peace and serenity and when I am there..I'm doing the right thing. When I'm not...more praying till I get there. By george.......

5 comments:

lana said...

maybe sometimes the answer is no answer. that there is something we think needs fixing but the answer is that it is fine just the way it is. if it ain't broke don't fix it sorta thing.

so maybe the silence IS the answer

Judith said...

Interesting post. I don't really look for signs or directions, I guess. But I think a lot of people do. I think it's more like that thing, god helps those who help themselves. Or something like that. Eh, what do I know? LOL.

One Prayer Girl said...

I have come to believe that often God is answering, but He is working it out in the time it takes and that is often so slow I don't even notice.

BUT I have also come to the point where enough time has passed that I can look back and see that God did answer my prayers - sometimes the way I wanted, but more often some other way that was much better for me.

I can be impatient and want results NOW. When it doesn't happen 'right now', that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Prayer and patience - pray and wait.

There have been a few times in recovery when God has answered instantly, but I consider them miracles and they are few and far between.

God bless,
Prayer Girl

Mary Christine said...

Sometimes when I have been most convinced that God was directing me, I have made the worst blunders.

Syd said...

I don't look for anything directly. It's all the little things that indicate God is there. Yet, I've had two big epiphanies in my life with the death of my parents. Not coincidence by any means. God was there directing me.