Monday, October 6, 2008

Party

Whew! Glad that's over. Threw a 50th birthday party for my husband this weekend. It turned out really nice. We grew up in another state so that is where most of his friends are. I had to delegate a lot of stuff and wasn't sure how it would come out. One of them has a wonderful yard so offered it up for a bonfire and cookout. Someone else took care of getting the word out. His buddy took care of the beer and so on and so on. I had to buy the hard liquor which amazingly enough did not bother me. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about how a shot would do me, woo hoo!.. but it passed. This is a drinking crew and I learned something this weekend especially at my Saturday morning meeting when someone shared when he took his employees out to lunch. He said they had drinks and he wanted them to. And I took that with me. He understood that while he's an alcoholic and cannot drink, that doesn't mean that everyone can't drink. This was a party for my husband and his friends. They drink and they enjoy it. Most of them do not have a problem. I could throw a party and let everyone let loose in whatever way worked for them. For me it does not involve alcohol. I could be there for my husband while he enjoyed his friends. I did not throw up, I did not soil myself, I did nothing to regret, I did not lose my temper, I did not ramble on and on slurring my words, I did not become disshelveled, I was not wild and crazy, I did not hurt anyone, I did nothing to regret. He did not have to worry about cleaning up after me and he could relax knowing that he would not have to drive. It was a good time. Lots of laughs and stories. Lots of memories. Some not so good but I could let it be known that I was not that person anymore. And that felt great!

ps...my sponsee is doing the next right thing and I am very grateful that I could be there for her.

8 comments:

Syd said...

We've avoided parties since my wife got sober, at least the ones at our house. No booze in the house anymore. I think that any party we would have would have minimal alcohol. Just my anxiety today.

Molls said...

Glad the party worked out! We had a beautiful weekend for it.

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to do for your husband!

steveroni said...

Sounds good to me. Only YOU know how you handle a party. And you know where to go if the going gets rough.

Me, I don't have friends any more who drink. It just worked out that way. Since my wife is also another sober alcoholic, there is no problem there.

Shadow said...

well done dear kathy. that's a good place you're in right now.

Pammie said...

I have no problem serving alcohol in my home since my husband drinks. BUT...I find drunk people awfully boring.

Fireman John said...

having fun at a party...without drinking???
good golly miss molly, it certainly IS!

Judith said...

Yea! You made it through!

I'm so grateful my husband decided to stop drinking with me. We haven't had any alcohol in our house since I quit. I still don't want any here -- especially the new house. I don't mind at all when other people drink around me or if I am in a room with it, but my home is a whole different story. Not that I want to drink it. I just like the idea of my home being clean and free of that life.