Sunday, October 12, 2008

God Works With Joy

From Oct 12th, Around the Year with Emmett Fox:

"Don't pray or meditate as a duty. Realize that prayer is a visit with God and should be joyous.

Neither must you pursue your secular activities as necessities to be gotten over, that you may return to your prayer. In the light of Truth, there are no secular activities.

You must have regular recreation or you will become stale. Recreation, also, is to be enjoyed-as an expression of God-and not as a task to prepare yourself to pray better. An understanding joy in living is the highest prayer of all.

...in thy presence is fullness of joy.....(Psalm 16:11)"

If you ever have a chance to see Carrie Fischer's "Wishful Drinking" go. She is in Boston until October 26th and I went with a few girls from the program last night. I cannot even describe how much fun we had. Carrie was hysterical in only the way that a 52 yr old daughter of celebrities and a star in her own right who is also an alcoholic,& addict (which she says is like saying you are from Boston and Massachusetts) who suffers from bipolar disease, has had ECT therapy and was forced to wear this hairsyle can be.
I woke up this morning with a terrible headache which I can only attribute to laughing so hard. It started with our 11th step mediation meeting when my friend called me a smart ass and continued until we were wandering around the North End of Boston at midnight trying to find the pastry shop laughing at the silliest things. At least three of us were. One of my friends was more like Debbie Downer and I must admit that it got on my nerves a bit. From the penny pinching as we paid tabs and parking to her straight faced response as she was asked if she was enjoying the show: Oh yes she is very funny..in pure deadpan. Because she has become a friend I think I understand where she is coming from and can empathize but itis hard to include her when she's sort of a joykill. But yet again...here is the reading from Daily Reflections to remind me of how I must handle situations such as these.
"Being fairminded and tolerant is a goal toward which I must work daily. I ask God, as I understand Him, to help me to be loving and tolerant to my loved ones and to those with whom I am in close contact. I ask for guidance to curb my speech when I am agitated, and I take a moment to reflect on the emotional upheaval my words may cause, not only to someone else, but also to myself. Prayer, meditation and inventories are the key to sound thinking and postive action for me."
I am grateful I didn't express some of my agitation in words but I am afraid it may have reflected in my face at times though I tried hard not to let it. But I think a few exchanged glances may have been perceived and a cause of hurt feelings. And that I do not want to be responsible for. So I will probably need to make an amends to this person. But maybe she just needs more of these experiences in fellowship with other women to let the joy come out. At least that is what I will pray for.
Anyway, it was a blast, so if you can, do something joyful today. Make sure you laugh.

11 comments:

steveroni said...

Lord have mercy! Kathy Lynn, how many times each day do I need to be reminded (by happenings in my life above and beyond understanding), that my Higher Power is right HERE, right NOW!

Your comment on my blog was jusy TOO MUCH a coincidence! It gave ME goosebumps, and hot flashes. What a show God is putting on for us all here on these blogs!

(Hot flashes: a result of hormone shots @ $2,700 a pop--every 84 days.)

I just put up another photo regarding Houston/Dolphins game, go see it please...but don't tell any of those Houston people!!!

Fireman John said...

thanks for reminding me;
if we can't have some fun in this
journey...what's the point?

J-Online said...

Sounds like fun times!

Shadow said...

a belly-laugh a day! at least...

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thanks Kathy Lynn. So glad you had some FUN!

Michael said...

I took my dogs out on Sunday morning and said a long prayer to my HP, I thanked him for my 4 years of rebite but I have a feeling that the next 4 years might not be so peaceful, but I know life is meant to be a test not a breeze.
Meditating has become such an important part of my life now that I dont know how I ever lived without it.
Oh I though Carrie Fisher was beautiful in my younger years, I only learned recently she was an alcoholic.

Syd said...

Yours is a good reminder that I need to not judge others or expect them to be the way that I want them to be. I have been the kill joy at parties so I can understand your friend. Some days there are just low spots. Glad that you had a good time. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Recovery Road London said...

"Don't pray or meditate as a duty. Realize that prayer is a visit with God and should be joyous. "

I'm getting loots of good things from the blog world today! Thanks for the needed reminder.

Have a groovy day!

One Prayer Girl said...

Getting lighter and enjoying life is another work in progress. I am learning to laugh more and find more humor.

I have also had to work on "Live and Let Live" when people don't behave the way I think they should or when they are a "drag". Sometimes it works well, sometimes not so well - I just keep trying.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a great time last night and just enjoyed, which is integral to being a human. Being tolerant and loving is our code and I think that it sounds like you did great, we are all about the progress, eh?

thank you for this wonderful post
G

indistinct said...

Hi,

You've been tagged (without obligation) to share on Step One in your blog. I hope that by sharing your hope and experience with others, that we could all be sober for another day. If you want to share, Thank you. If not, that's okay too. And if you want to tag others, that would be cool.

Hank