Thursday, October 9, 2008

11 months

Not me....I guess about 11 months ago, maybe longer, I met a woman at our Friday night women's meeting. It was her first meeting and we were the only ones there, it was a bit early. I remember in all my 3 months or so, welcoming her and telling her a little of what AA was and what it had done for me so far. She was very scared and you could smell the alcohol on her. She didn't think she was an alcoholic but had been arrested for DUI so had to come. She would introduce herself but not say she was an alcoholic. I gave her my number too but she never used it. Saw her around a few meetings but not often and not regularly. We had an email exchange once or twice. she had heard me tell my story and that a certain woman had talked to me at my first meeting and how much that had meant to me. She wrote to tell me I had done that for her. It was really nice to hear. Anyway, I've seen her at meetings but we haven't really talked. I did notice that if there for the introductions she now identified herself as an alcoholic. She usually sits in the back, doesn't raise her hand...that kind of thing.

Anyway, I had a chance to speak with her yesterday after the meeting. She told me she will have 11 months on Monday. She feels good, she is happy, she never thought she would still be here. How awesome is that! I don't know if she has a sponser, is working the steps or what. But I know she has been sober for 11 months and I got to be there for the first day and will be there for the three hundred and thirty fifth day. We talked about the hand of AA this morning. I am so grateful that I could be one of the hands. I remember the hands that came to me. At my first meeting and the welcome, my first 24 hour chip and the first time I said I was an alcoholic, the first time I read the preamble and the understanding when I cried from either gratitude or fear. My sponser...just so many. And the people who maybe aren't ready to reach out a hand yet but are willing to share their experience at a meeting. That's enough too. How much it helps. How much of a difference we can make in each other's lives. Blessings.

11 comments:

Syd said...

That is so powerful. It makes me so grateful to know that there are so many caring people out there who really carry the message of AA and Al-Anon. I'm glad that you were there.

Akannie said...

Wow, KL...that is pretty awesome. I can remember some of the folks at my first meeting, and will probably never forget that they are the ones who always put the hand of AA out there to me.

Sobriety rocks!

J-Online said...

What a wonderful experience!

J-Online said...

What a wonderful experience!

Unknown said...

This is an awesome post and I am so grateful for those who have been there for me so today I can hopefully be there for others...thank you!!!

love, gabi

steveroni said...

Yep. I know the feeling. There is nothing quite like it, letting God use you to help another alcoholic. We are indeed a blest fellowship. I am SO grateful! For you, and the 11-month lady.

Shadow said...

lovely share! and yeah, all it takes is that ONE moment, to make a difference...

Michael said...

there are some strange coincidences in AA or is it synchronosity, sometimes I think Im too quiet in AA but I have never been good at chit chat so I figure if its worked for 4 years theres no reason not to expect another 4 if I carry on doing the same

Pammie said...

now THATS a cool feeling!

indistinct said...

Thank you.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Wow.

'We can't change the world.
But we can change the world, for ONE man.'

Cliff richard said that apparently. I don't know where he heard it from though.

Amazing isnt it?
I always say, the only thing more wonderful than finding a peace and serenity that 'passeth al understanding' is the PURE UNADULTERATED JOY that comes from being the ? Vessel that enables ANOTHER HUMAN BEING to realize their OWN peace and serenity that 'passeth al understanding'

Like the only thing better than getting sober and STAYING sober, is helping ANOTHER alcoholic achieve the same.
I !!! LOVE the feeling. Service is addictive isn't it? Such a high! I feel sorry for all those who have not discovered how wonderful and enlightening service is. Its one of aa's greatest blessings. Its a very beautiful feeling. Really sinks into the bones. Impregnates our body at a cellular level. I love it.

Yeah . !!! Great post. Glad you are reaping the cellular benefits of service (very imperfectly) rendered. Everyone who does the same work as you gets to feel the way you feel when you see her get better. Its priceless isn't it? That's why I have no!!! Qualms about doing or saying WHATEVER I need to, to get them to SEE what they need to do to get well. It is SO !!!! Worth it when they get well. ...I used to worry what they thought of me. Now I don't care! I just want to see them get well and STAY well, and I have LONG since stopped caring what I have to do or say in order to facilitate that.