Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Trip

Father Thomas Keating....an 87 year old Trappist Monk. I cried when he first took the stage. I got to meet him. I got to thank him. I got to hug him. He's a rock star. He's funny, smart and he speaks right to your very soul. He was very accessible, signed our books. When I thanked him for changing my life, he looked at me in astonishment and said..I didn't do anything! It was all I could do not to take a picture of him while we were in the middle of our 20 minute meditation and prayer sits but I gently went back to my sacred word. But imagine that, while I was in my inner room, Father Keating was too!

This is the labryinth at the Center for Action and Contemplation in Albuquerque founded by Father Richard Rohr, a Franciscan monk. Where Father Keating spoke to the soul, Father Rohr spoke to the mind. He helped to make sense of how religon and its dogma and doctrine has damaged spirituality, particularly fundamentalists. I found him very exciting and what he spoke of helped me to make sense and articulate how I feel about organized religon. We had a communion service at the end of the conference where we gave each other communion at one long huge table. 800 people, from 42 states, Canada, Germany and even New Zealand, most of whom were alcoholics though not all, plenty of alanons, and other 12 step programs were represented. And even some "normal" people as well. All meditating, praying, and sharing. It was amazing. The morning after we were invited to Centering Prayer at the Center and I am grateful we went. Got to CP with Father Rohr in his shorts!! Didn't walk this labyrinth but we did one as part of the conference as well as Kripalu yoga which I loved and have continued.

WE got our kicks on Route 66! Quite by accident. We attempted to visit the Acamo Indian pueblo but it was closed for a ceremony. Of course we didn't call first before the hour long ride and its a good thing it was closed because my friend had on a skort and that would not have been acceptable. So on the way back we detoured from the highway and traveled along the famous road. Met some bikers along the way and they took our picture on the road on top of the Route 66 sign. Sadly for annoynimity purposes I can't share it but trust me it's cool!

Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Sunny Santa Fe would be nice
We'll open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Let's open up a restaurant in Santa Fe Ah oh
Our labors would reap financial gains Santa Fe
We'll open up a restaurant in Santa Fe And save from devastation our brains
Do you know the way to Santa Fe?
You know, tumbleweeds ... prairie dogs ...

From the musical Rent......which my friend had never heard of. Talk about living on different planets. It made for an interesting companion.

Visited the Cathedral of St. Franicis and did a sit there. It was beautiful and visited Lorretto Chapel where the miracle staircase is. Beautiful.

The famous Plaza...lots of shops, vendors, museums, churches, charachters, homeless, turquoise, fajitas, jewelry, tourists....but the people were very, very nice and the heat, well, its a dry heat. Bought some wonderful salsa here for my husband made at the Laguna Pueblo but sadly it was confiscated at the airport. Nothing over 3 oz in carryons. Hope the guards enjoyed it. ......
On the way home along the Turquoise Trail which is the scenic route between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Nothing but vistas, desert, mountains and an occasional lone ranch. We passed through Madrid, where they filmed Wild Hogs. And Cerrillos, an old mining town which was pretty much deserted. Kickin' Ass Ranch, Bone Zone, lots of cool rock formations. Just beautiful.




Views from the top of Sandia Peak. I've got about 200 pictures more but I'll spare you. Needless to say, its beautiful. It was also very cold, about 39 degrees and raining and all I had on was a tank top. Who knew?? Trails were closed because of the fires nearby. But that worked for me....








It was a wonderful trip. And now I'm back trying to get into the swing of regular life when all I really want to do is read, contemplate and go to AA. A monks life is looking really attractive.

But I'm back, a mother, wife, paralegal, friend, child of God and an alcoholic.

4th of July was a moment. We have fireworks in our town on this expansive farm that is now town land. My sponser and some of the other women from the Stepsisters all went and I joined them. My sponser brought her husband and I encouraged my husband to join us. With trepidation he did and guess what? He enjoyed himself. Liked the girls and he had a lot in common with my sponser's husband. They both rebuild motorcycles and so there was a lot of talk of that in the corner. It was a milestone because between picking my friend and I up at the airport and socializing on the 4th, he finally got to see that my fellows are not wierdos from a cult but regular fun, thoughtful people.

And, my therapist and I called it quits. My health insurance would no longer cover the visits. We couldn't come up with an honest diagnosis. I could fight it but I think I'm done. She has helped me face some things in my childhood. Not only validated my feelings but exposed them. It explained so much of my current behavior and reactions. Helped me to deal with the loss of my parents. I feel good about this. And in January, if need be I can go back.

So that's about it...there's plenty more but sadly I have to go to work. I've been popping in to my blogging buddies but its been hard to catch up but I'll get there. Love to you all!

4 comments:

Pammie said...

OMG is all I can think of to say!
WOW and OMG what a wonderful trip.

Pammie said...

POSTED ON MY BLOG THIS MORNING:

Oh I'm sorry Kathy, you're right..
Ms. AlwaysExpandingHerHorizonPants.

Syd said...

Great photos. It sounds like an awesome trip.

Shadow said...

nice piccies, looks like a great convention. and best of all it looks so nice and hot. i want some of that.