Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Oh yeah, and one more thing

Forgot to mention that we went to an AA meeting Thursday night. How it Works. It was a bit of a distance on foot from where we were staying. Apparantly there are no alcoholics in Old Town, Albuquerque. Anyway, another thing about the southwest, they seem to have their addresses on one street but their front doors on another. I guess you can tell we had a hard time finding the place but we did after walking about an extra mile or so. But besides getting there, I can't say enough good things about the meeting. Here we are at an 11th step conference and what do they choose to read:

"Perhaps there is a better way - we think so. For we are now on a different basis; the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. We are in the world to play the role He assigns. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity.
We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator. We can laugh at those who think spirituality the way of weakness. Paradoxically, it is the way of strength. The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage. All men of faith have courage. They trust their God. We never apologize for God. Instead we let Him demonstrate, through us, what He can do. We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us be"
. pg 68

So it was exactly where my mind was. Then we were offered a ride back by a very nice couple. But they couldn't leave it at that...they gave us a little mini tour, showing us the park around the Rio Grande, the botanical gardens, showing us where the best breakfast place was, etc. As I told them, it was very nice to have family whereever we go. Thanks Elena and Bob.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all of your pics and details about the conderence. The lady with the wine made me laugh. Reminded of when I was about 1 week sober. I was afraid that people would treat me like a cripple, what I really wanted was a tiarra, diamond one. So I tell this woman at work that I quit drinking and I am going to AA. So what does she do? Asks me to buy her beer on my lunch hour because I was going to the store...Guess what, I did, then I got pissed, because at this point I was looking at empty beer cans on the side of the road wondering if there was anything left in them, my disease was fighting me tooth and nail back then. Anyway when I think about it today, I think I was doing what she had tried and had not suceeded at. She came right out and told me that she could not make it back to the shop with out a drink,she also told she tried AA and it did not work for her. That was the first and only time I ever bought alcohol for anyone since I got sober. Thanks for the memory, made me very grateful to have all that behind me today. {{Hugs}} back at cha'

Michael said...

I am glad everythings going well for you, I am going to a meeting on Friday as well this week, its a small meeting but its better than just one a week.
Everythings going to pot here in the UK apparently the credit crunch caused by u americans has meant its hard to get a mortgage, so no ones buying houses, so no ones building them, so no ones buying bricks.
Also fuel prices is rising to nearly $12 per gallon of diesel and gas has gone up almost 50% which is leading to major cutbacks and closures in the brick industry.
The lost world hasnt been affected though yet

Syd said...

I like the idea of matching calamity with serenity. It sounds like a great meeting.

Shadow said...

nice to meet such people, isn't it. kinda renews one hope in humanity, hee hee heee.

that address thingy is just wierd. do you mean that the back doors face the street address??? isn't that just because their houses are built facing the sun?