Thursday, December 13, 2007

To my Husband and To my God Box

I'm sorry I blew up last night. I'm sure it is very hard for you to understand because you are not an alcoholic. I am doing everything in my power not to drink anymore. My MO is to drink through stuff I don't particularly want to do. When I say I can't talk about something or I can't do something, it is not to disrespect you or does not imply that you are doing something wrong even if I say you are. I just need to take it easy on myself especially now. I cannot let myself get overwhelmed and if I do I have to stop. I was getting more and more frustrated last night because it seemed like you couldn't hear me. And maybe you couldn't because you truly don't understand. And then I want you to understand so I get frustrated that you don't. Of course it wouldn't make sense to you if I said well, if we keep talking about this its going to make me want a bottle of wine, because you don't experience that. You don't have this disease. Maybe you don't understand that it is a disease. It is not a moral issue. I can't just stop because I want to be a good girl. And because I can't say that or because you don't understand that I get more and more frustrated and then blow up. You have been very supportive and not too reproachful about giving me the time to go to meetings and I need to do that. I may need to go to more because I am getting very stressed out. It helps to be with other people who have had the same feelings and problems that I have. Who understand. That could be helpful to you too. Maybe helpful to our marriage. Maybe even the kids. They have alanon meetings for familys of alcoholics on Monday nights. They have alateen meetings too I believe. For me holidays are triple the work and obviously I already have a hard enough time keeping up with the regular stuff like laundry, picking up, etc. They also bring back bad feelings like the stuff with my mom. Add to that gift shopping, decorating, cooking and the rest and I'm on system overload. How do I usually deal with stress? Drink. I don't want to do that anymore. I don't think you want me to. So I hope you understand and maybe can go just a little bit easier on me. Expectations will kill me. My own and other peoples. Sometimes it feels deliberate. I'm sure it isn't. That's the alcoholism trying to give me an excuse to drink.I hope you understand and I hope this explains it a little better so that you can. Thanks and I love you.

7 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Kathy,
A long apology letter to your Huisband, it really does work doesnt it.
I am looking forward to a long weekend now

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

I could have written a very similar letter to my husband as well.

I hear you about obligations, expectations and commitments. This time of year just adds to the already large "to do" list we carry day to day.

Maura

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Syd said...

This is a very good letter and one that tells me a lot about how hard the disease is. And yes I do know that expectations are the worst to have. I do my best not to have any expectations. Thanks for sharing this.

Shadow said...

wow, mind if i copy it and give it to my hubby.... seriously, that says exactly the things i need to tell hubby too. and that expectations bit. spot on!

Pammie said...

can you imagine how stressful the holiday would be if we were to drink....on top of everything else that's going on?
It really is OK, to say how you feel to someone as long as it does not come from a "mean-spirited" place in your heart.
Sometimes I think, as alcoholics, we are so used to years of saying the "wrong thing" to people, that we start to question everything we say.

johno said...

Good that you see that driking would not help ANYTHING, and yeh I used to find it VERY hard trying to understand that poeople dont understand no matter how understanding they are.

You are noy a victim of alcohol now because you are not drinking, live in the solution, a recovering alcoholic, not a suffering recovering alcoholic.

More prayers, move closer to your higher power which will take you further away from a drink.
More conversations with new people.

I pray when I have resentments towards people, I pray for defects to be removed and fear to be removed and my attention to be turned to something more useful.

Also counting 5 before saytig the first thing.

And yes I say the wrong ting at times, its great though isnt it to ecognise it in 24hours own it and try and make amends.

Mostly to have the chance to try and behave differently from now on.

Change the things we can (from now onwards), accept the things we cant (history - anything from 5 seconds ago), wisdom to know the difference.

I found step 4 and 5 helped me deal with people, especially the prayers in the big book in step4...
really helped me to be less of a victim.

Anyway enough, its verging on christmas, unless you are not taking part, it has its own pressures which EVERYONE feels slightly differently, even non alkys.

Happy wednesday