Sunday, December 23, 2007

These Are My People

I just came from an awesome Big Book meeting where we listen to a chapter and then discuss it. We were on Chapter 11: A Vision for You. One of the lines in the chapter we talked about is on Page 161: "life among AA is more that attending gatherings and visiting hospitals..." and here is the part that really resonated with me this morning: "being restored and united under one God, with hearts and minds attuned the welfare of others....." That to me is what this program is all about. Now. After you get past the physical aspects of sobriety. For me AA has brought me to God who has been there whether I knew it or not. Some people who are not alcoholics find their own way but AA has been the vessel for me. And there are many different religions, practices, ways of expressing faith but the fact remains we are "restored and united" under One God.

This chapter also brings about an amazement at how far we have come from 2 fellows in Akron, Ohio. A friend of mine who is not an alcoholic asked me if I was making new friends in AA. It is so much more than friendship, the connections I am making with the people from my meetings, the people in my online group, the people in this sober blogging community I've become a part of. It is beyond friendship. It reaches to Ohio, California, the South, the North, the UK, South Africa, Australia and beyond I am sure. It is deep and profound how I feel about these people. How much they mean to me and I will probably never meet them. And then the people I do meet and see every day or week in my meetings. That I talk to on the phone now, that I have tea with. Or just a brief hug in the parking lot. That I care about. It is just so much more than friendship. These are my people.

8 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

Great post. Great snow. Merry Christmas!

johno said...

great post, you just gave me ain injection of much needed gratitude!!

merry christmas, have a fun one!!

Shadow said...

you are 'my people' too! thanks for being around.

merry christmas!!!

molly said...

what a fantastic post!! I got chills there honey bun :) Of course it is cold though in here too - ha. I LOVE ya and am so grateful you are here. Merry Christmas friend.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

yeah YOU are my people too!
yeah i got goose bumps too!

the power of the fellowship is a weird thing. it is palpable isn't it? you can really 'feel' it cant you?
Yeah I love it too.
AA is my spiritual family. i have other non aa spiritual families in spiritual teachers and monks and nuns, but aa people feel like my family.
Bono says "its not where you come from, its where you belong', in summer rain, and that explains it a bit.
its very col isnt it? I'm glad you are able to feel it so clearly, as it IS a 'real' thing.
Have a great christmas! Its been very nice getting to know you this year. Long may it continue!

Syd said...

Thanks for telling what the program means to those who are fortunate to be part of it. I feel the same about Al-Anon. We are there for each other. No matter what.

Michael said...

Wonderful post Kath and happy Christmas, thanks for your great friendship in 2007, lets have a really good 2008, the force is with us!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.