Monday, December 3, 2007

Chapter 8: To the Wives

I haven't relasped mainly because I avoided AA to begin with so I had nothing to relapse from. Plenty, countless really, of times I "quit" drinking on my own only to last a day, a week, a few months. It's different for me this time because I am following the steps as outlined in the book and as a result I have had a spiritual awakening. There was no sudden light. No AHA moment. I'm still rubbing my eyes, groggy as hell but I no longer have the compulsion to drink. Pretty amazing. I know it takes each of us our own time to have the compulsion removed and I am very grateful that it has happened for me.

It struck me when we were reading Chapter 8 "To the Wives" yesterday in our Big Book group, that the solution to a relapser is right there. On page 120, second paragraph it says: "though it is infinately better that he have no relapse at all, it is by no means a bad thing in some cases. Your husband will see at once that he must REDOUBLE his SPIRITUAL ACTIVITIES if he expects to survive." Now maybe I am naive or maybe I'm missing something but when you are asked what are you going to differently this time, I would think that is where your focus must be. A Power Greater than Yourself. I guess this concerns me because I see many relapsers return to the meetings and I'm never sure what to say. What will you do differently this time? I want to know what to avoid. I want to be prepared so I don't relapse.

I found this to be a good chapter for me even though it is directed to the wives (spouses, partners, whatever, gotta love our sexist roots) I could relate to their description of their spouses. I did the same thing. Called my husband a killjoy when he didn't drink with me or admonished me for my drinking. While I didn't drink us into financial ruin, when I was waitressing I often spent half or all of my tips on drinking after my shift. Then lied and said it was a slow night. I didn't do this but one of my coworkers once went to an ATM to withdraw money so she would have cash to show her husband when she got home. I just lied and since I handled the finances I didn't have to. I thought the idea brilliant though and would have used it if I had to. And that is not to mention the money I have spent since on alcohol on a daily basis. It's disgusting really.

I identified with the description of the 4 types of alcoholics. Could find myself, easily. I believe I am of the second type. Lack of control, out of hand, attempts to moderate and quit, loss of friends, job suffers, drinking earlier and earlier, awareness that I did not drink like other people, worried, remorseful. I did not ruin everything. I was still functioning but I was well on my way.

And though I think males are not as long suffering as the females described in the book and perhaps show more anger, I could see my husband in some of the descriptions of the wives. Although I would say he avoided the situation and confrontation about it. As long as I was functioning he let things pass. We had a joke in our family, "you know your mother's not well". It was meant to be funny and we all laughed but how true it was.

Anyway, today I am grateful to know that I am being taken care of. That I can recognize my faulty thinking. That I have a group of people who understand me. That I can be of service to those same people.

Still snowing here in New England.

6 comments:

molly said...

Gosh - I'm pretty speechless (in a good way that is).. It's hard to put the emotion into words but I think it is GRATITUDE. So, thank ya friend.

Syd said...

It's great that you have the program and that you are dedicated to working it. I couldn't identify totally with To the Wives when I first read it. But later I could and through Al-Anon, I've learned how to detach and take care of myself.

Judith said...

I can relate to a lot in your post today. My husband wasn't really long suffering either. I think he was more wishing I would drink a little less. He didn't think I needed rehab, but I knew I did. But he supports my recovery, which is the most important thing. At the same time, I sometimes get annoyed because I do feel like he let me get away with too much and I wonder if he just didn't notice or care. But that really isn't fair of me at all.

I'm still working on me. It's a journey and not a race. Thank god because I am going at a tortoise pace.

Shadow said...

you have changed. for the better!

Michael said...

I guess I am lucky or unlucky as the case may be not to have relapsed yet, I do get those moments though when I think "I wonder what it would be like?"
I guess I went right to the buffers though before I got off the alcoholic train, really down lower than a snakes belly.
I just dont wanna go near there again, also EVERYONE knows I am an alcoholic, I certainly aint anonymous and everyone would know if I relapsed, it would be so shamefull!
Like vicariousing above says I too have recovered at a snails pace, no massive WOW factor for me just a long slow wake up..
I didnt get to ask Veras out for coffee, but I really do fancy her!
better than them russians

Alcoholic Outsider Artist said...

you never have to have another drop as long as you live period. many people romanticize relapsing, sort of a badge of honer. Bullshit.