Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Day After Christmas!

Ho Ho Ho! Santa did indeed leave some gifts under our tree and I was up at 5 am to prepare the house, turned on the lights, had the croissants and scones ready to pop in the oven, the coffee ready to be brewed.. set the stage. I am so very grateful that our biggest controversy this Christmas was that I changed the location of the tree this year, (well, that and the fire created by the candle too close to the silk poinsetta, LOL.) Bad idea. You just don't mess with tradition. But we are blessed to just be concerned with that and not whether or not there are gifts and loved ones wherever the tree may be.

I did not go to the morning meeting yesterday as planned. I was just too too tired to put it together and the day promised to be a long one. I know I could have shown up in my pjs but I really just needed another hour or so of sleep and I have learned to take care of me and my sobriety. Ended up sleeping until 9:30!! Thank God for teenagers. Was on my feet all day Christmas eve making goodies for what you would think an army but really just the four of us. My meetings are going to enjoy these leftovers today! I must admit as the days, both Christmas eve and day progressed, twinges of how comfortable a drink would make me passed through my brain. Mostly when I was cooking. But it did just that, passed. Grateful to have learned that.

I did alot of dealing with the wreckage of the past on Christmas eve. And a lot of praying to let go and to trust it will be fine. Don't get me wrong, we had a nice evening but my children are still learning to trust me and have not let go of their resentments quite yet. It will take time and as I progress through the steps I feel hopeful that we can repair our relationships. Until then, I just have to trust God. Well, even then, but I am hopeful that the work I do and will continue to do can only bring better things because even though there is lingering bad feelings they are merely lingering, not being created.

Last night after dinner we went to see Sweeney Todd. Not your typical Christmas fare but it was a great movie and very well done by all involved. Fun to go to the movies as a family. Not so much in the car but the movie, cool.

So Merry Christmas everyone and lots of day after Christmas {{{hugs}}}. I get so much from each and every one of you and if I can share just one ounce of what I have received here I will be blessed.

Have a wonderful, sober and love filled day!!

7 comments:

Shadow said...

and i'm grateful to have you around.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

ahh bless.
thanks for sharing.
loved the orange story at syds place. cool!

Syd said...

Thanks for the story about the orange. Oranges must truly have been very special in years past. It put my father's story in a different perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Michael said...

I Kathy, feeling really ill today, I was hoping a touch of blogging would take my mind off it all.
Luke kindly passed me on one of his severe colds and I feel like death warmed up.
Many years of the aftereffects of drink have taught me to try and keep moving when you feel like crap, if you just stay in bed you dont seem to ever get better.
Well its back to work on Wednesday, blimey its gone quickj!

Judith said...

Merry Christmas to you! I am so grateful to have you in my blogging world. You have made a difference in my life, and for that, I thank you.

Best wishes,
Judith

Mary Christine said...

Merry Belated Christmas.

Jenn said...

Hi Kathy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was happy to see your name because I just started reading your blog the other night. I can relate to a lot of what you have written about. I am so glad I have found this network of people in recovery. Makes it seem possible!