Saturday, August 11, 2007

Bookie for the Month

I signed up to find speakers for the Monday night meeting for the rest of August. Why did I do that? I don't really know that many people but I figured it would force me to put myself out there. And so far that has worked, talking to new people, going on the commitments have really given me a look at what a sober life can bring me. But its caused me alot of angst this week. Who to ask? What if they reject me? I'm an idiot. Anyway, this guy from the morning group has been struggling. The Saturday I left for vacation, he was at the meeting drunk and in despair. He had had a lot of time and a lot of people were heartbroken. While I was gone he checked himself into detox and was there when we did the committment last week. And this week he was back. When he spoke at the meeting yesterday, I thought about what I was told to look for in a speaker. Someone who doesn't speak alot and who could use it. So I put all my fears aside and I asked him if he would. He said he would but was concerned that some might not like it because he has only 2 weeks now. I asked him if he had spoken in the past and he had, and I told him what they told me. I told him I wanted to hear his story so it worked for me if it worked for him. So now I will be nervous about this until Monday night. I could call the treasurer of the group but now I'm afraid. If she says no then I'll have to ask him not to speak. Yikes! I feel like I did the right thing. I don't even really know this guy, but I felt like he was the obvious choice.

Well, as Scarlett said, I'll worry about that tomorrow. Today, is 60 days and I feel good. Traded in my teenagers for my niece and nephew 8 & 10. Played miniature golf, went for ice cream and just hung out on the hammock. It was a good day.

3 comments:

Shadow said...

always remember, if it feels right, it probably is...

it's when i start second guessing myself that things get confusing. so stick with your first instinct. i'm sure things will go well!

Shadow said...

p.s i have 2 questions for you...
(1) how do you pronounce gospodi pomiluj
(2) what does it mean?

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Good for you. You've inspired me to stop making excuses and do some service work!

I wanted to thank you so much for your comment about HP. I particularly liked what you said about prayer,

60 days! Wow!!