Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happiness

I don't know how to write this without sounding, well.... jealous. And I'm not jealous but I do feel uncomfortable. And I've had trouble figuring out why. So jealousy could be the cause but I don't think so. There is a small group of women that I have become friendly with in AA. They are the ones I socialize with, go on retreats, have tea, etc. outside of the rooms. They are all going through enormous change....one is my sponser who ended her 17 yr marriage, the other a close friend who ended her 10 yr relationship, another friend is having all kinds of job, home and relationship changes as well, and one is talking about moving up north where she'll feel more tapped into her community. I only share the major part of their specific issues to exemplify that these are major changes I'm talking about. And while other men are involved in the relationship issues they are not the causes of them. I appreciate that they consider me a friend as well as a fellow AA member that they can talk to through these things. On the other hand, my world has not changed with the exception of the empty nest. I guess maybe the issue is that I can't identify. I have the same marriage, the same home, the same job, the same weight, etc. The only thing that isn't the same is that I am sober.

What I need to keep up front is that they have all been sober much longer than me...I can't have their sobriety and the life choices that come along with that...I can't hurry up, I can't have 20 yrs when I have 2 yrs, I can't change things I'm not ready or even know if they need changing....I can only be where I am. But I guess I feel like I'm being left behind. That's not reality though. That's the twisted thinking in my head. So I'm happy in my calm peaceful way...trying to stay a steady course and leave drama behind. But doing that around giddy romance can be difficult.

8 comments:

Shadow said...

mmmm, sounds a bit like growing in different directions?

Shadow said...

which is okay, as long as you're happy with the decisions you have made, with what you have and with the path that you are on...

Anonymous said...

The last time I whined about my life being boring I got a DUI, just sayin. That was 12 years ago! I love boring! Bring it on sista!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

well being sober a long time doesn't automatically mean you separate from your partner.
you will be looked after and your own path will unfold in its own time.

One Prayer Girl said...

Life is all about change. Those around us change. We change. Sometimes it creates an uncomfortable feeling till things settle back down again.

Until they change again......:)

PG

Carol said...

Gospod, I'm happy that you are blogging again. Unfortunately we live in a culture that celebrates the 'new' moreso than rewards loyalty. You need to be exactly where you're at, more shall be revealed.

lana g said...

BE where you ARE
how can you be anywhere else really?
i love 'happy in a calm peaceful way'!

i heard byron katie say the other day 'peace can sometimes look like boredom'... drama SEEMS like so much more "fun".. yeah, NOT. you fine - just sometimes we don't connect with others.. then the next week?! we do. it's just weird really.

one thing that came to mind b/c i feel this sometimes in small group settings (and this may not apply here) but the feeling of feeling left out.. like i don't matter. it is SUBTLE but there. and sometimes - well, i just don't have things in common and there isn't anything wrong with that. has nothing to do with me really.

ah well, my thoughts for what it's worth.

Syd said...

It's not the time in the program but how well the program is practiced in all my affairs.