Friday, September 4, 2009

I thought I had an Epiphany

So just to carry on from yesterday...in my full moon musings....I had come to the conclusion that even though I felt shaky that ultimately, and I do believe this is true, my life is between me and God. When I experience difficulties, while it may help and be nice to go to a sponser, a trusted friend, a therapist, a meeting, etc., ultimately I must be with God to take the next step. Then...last night we read in Step Five of the 12 x12...
The second difficulty is this: what comes to us alone may be garbled by our own rationalization and wishful thinking. The benefit of talking to another person is that we can get his direct comment and counsel on our situation, and there can be no doubt in our minds what that advice is. Going it alone in spiritual matters is dangerous. How many times have we heard well-intentioned people claim the guidance of God when it was all too plain that they were sorely mistaken. Lacking both practice and humility, they had deluded themselves and were able to justify the most arrant nonsense on the ground that this was what God had told them. It is worth noting that people of very high spiritual development almost always insist on checking with friends or spiritual advisers the guidance they feel they have received from God. Surely, then, a novice ought not lay himself open to the chance of making foolish, perhaps tragic, blunders in this fashion. While the comment or advice of others may be by no means infallible, it is likely to be far more specific than any direct guidance we may receive while we are still so inexperienced in establishing contact with a Power greater than ourselves.
And its true, that's exactly where I was going with it, rationalization, wishful thinking, delusion and arrant nonsense. Epiphany, Shmiphany. You get what you need. It's very true.


7 comments:

Pammie said...

Love it!
Really love "You get what you need. It's very true."
Oh....and ya know I love the word Shmiphany

Shadow said...

you're so right. we cannot do it alone...

Unknown said...

Great post, we cannot do this alone, ultimately it is up to our HP and us...thank you for this wonderful post!

G

Banana Girl said...

The Rolling Stones were right: "You don't always get want you want,.....You get what you need." It would seem certain that you have sufficient faith. And frankly, I do think each day bears a moment of epiphany if we are watchful, open and honest. You are my friend, and much much more. Thank you for a wonderful two-day post. Simply loverly. J.

Michael said...

I am same I aint spoke to my old sponsor for ages, but I talk to others at my meeting i guess.
I know what u mean though on your own u could end up crazy listening for voices

Michael said...

I am same I aint spoke to my old sponsor for ages, but I talk to others at my meeting i guess.
I know what u mean though on your own u could end up crazy listening for voices

Syd said...

I believe that ephiphanies can happen. Some things are just too much to be called coincidence. But there may also shmiphanies too.