Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I listened...



An oldtimer this morning said that at some point you've got to listen to someone. I am very grateful that this happened for me. In spite of myself. It occurred to me that listening is what I have been doing these last three years from the very first day. I read a blog that very first day and I listened. I started writing. And when I got responses to my posts, I listened. You told me to go to AA. And when my online group talked about AA and how it worked, I listened. And I went to my first meeting. And when the wonderful lady from California called me so I could get used to talking to someone on the phone, I listened. I got a sponser that very day. And when my sponser told me to call her every day at 3 and to meet with her once a week, I listened. And we did the steps. And so I continue to listen..I listen to what you tell me to do and what not to do, what works and what doesn't work, and I hear how to stay away from that first drink. And it involves a much richer life than I could have ever imagined and is taking me places that I had long ago left behind. I think this is what the Grace of God must mean...

4 comments:

Carol said...

Isn't that funny about how it takes you back to things that you had left behind. My recovery in Alanon took me back to stuff I enjoyed as a teenager like tennis and writing. How does that happen? It must be a stripping away of ca-ca!

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I love that this is true! I love the online venues and the power that is carried there to people who are hopeless and need direction and encouragement.

I love the face to face meetings, for the directness and the feeling of warmth and unity and frankly because I have learned that face to face I have a much better chance of being encouraged to thorough honesty.

I love the program that, when followed precisely will work every time because it shows you the path no matter where you start from, the path 1-12 steps is the way home. :)

Unknown said...

This is a great post, and how true it is when we listen we hear what we need to do we see where our feet need to move too, thank you for this post, I needed this today Kathy Lynne!!!

Love you
g

Syd said...

Once I learned to shut up and listen, I heard all kinds of glorious things that have helped me in recovery.