Monday, July 20, 2009

The weekend was wonderful, although we decided that 3 days with Mom was probably one too many:) But we had a great time finding our way through NYC, getting pedicures and seeing the show. Hair was amazing. I teared up from the opening number of Aquarius with nostalgia and when they all got naked it wasn't really a shock but very integral to the theme and during a very emotional song so I was crying then too.....sometimes it seems all I do is cry. It was also a revelation that the song Let the Sun Shine wasn't really a joyful song but more of a plea. Again, very emotional. And Rent. What can I say about Rent? I have seen this show many, many times. I love the music and the message. I never saw the original Broadway production and seeing it with original cast members, Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal, was a HUGE difference. They ARE Mark and Roger. If this show travels to your area, do yourself a favor and go see it. The rest of the cast of this particular tour was very good as well.

Sadly while I was away I learned a friend of mine had passed away from breast cancer and her service was Saturday. She lived on the beach and was always very generous to our family, allowing us to park at her home to use the beach. I worked with her daughter and we partied together often back in our waitressing days. A friend who attended the memorial told me her daughter had just returned from our local hospital where she was hospitalized due to alcoholism. It sounds like she almost died from withdrawal seizures and had been confined to a wheelchair. My friend told her about me and my sobriety and she wants to talk to me. Maybe she is ready......I won't know but I can reach out to her and tell her my story and carry the message to her. It will be quite different from our middle of the night drunken phone calls when she lived in Key West.

8 comments:

One Prayer Girl said...

I'm sure somehow God is in the middle of whatever is going on with your old friend and the results will be His.

Your weekend sounds so wonderful. Glad you had such a good time and enjoyed the shows.

PG

lana said...

sounds like you enjoyed it very much. glad to hear it! :)

Carol said...

That's a lot of emotions and important stuff packed into one weekend. Be good to yourself and take care of you.

(cuz we need you,it's all about us in the end, you know!)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Glad you had a good time at the shows, too!

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear of your friends passing; and hope that as you reach out to others you know that it will be up to the higher power to open their ears, you just carry the message.

I love the NYC trip, sounds like you had a great time!! I love Jesus Christ SuperStar...whenever I hear the songs I burst out in song and sometimes tears, that's okay...that's how we heal and they help us to be human.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

glad you had a good time :) sounds great!

wow. sorry to hear of the loss and run-in with alcohol by yr ex drinking buddy. just goes to show where we might have ended up if we had carried on drinking..

Banana Girl said...

Bless you for taking the time and having the courage to respond to her call. It does sound like she is ready. J.

Unknown said...

It is great that you responded to her call...that is how we move the message and hold out our hands.

I love Hair, as a kid I had all the numbers memorized and loved them all...and yeah, it's a plea..that's why I love it...

okay enough.
Love
G