Monday, November 16, 2009

My Dad Would Have Been 70 today

Today would have been my Dad's 70th birthday. He was only 58 when Non Hodgkins Lymphoma took his life. I am very grateful that I was able to get to the hospital in time to have had some last meaningful words with him and stay at his bedside for the last week of his life. When he died, I felt like the safety net had been ripped from under me. But I think I was wrong about that. I miss him and am sad for how young he was...and how life dramatically changed for our family after he died. But at the same time I know that his presence in my life both before and after his death was a gift. And I am grateful to receive it. And now I'm not sure if I'm even talking about my Dad.

4 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

well some of the best things in life are impossible to describe, so not knowing whats what can mean everything is just fine :)

Thanks for sharing your memories of your dad with us :) ..recovery makes even things that are far off seem much more connected doesn't it?

Syd said...

I appreciate your writing about your dad here. Loss of a parent is something that I don't think anyone really "gets" over. The loss just softens with time.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

A very good friend's dad just died last Friday night so I keenly feel this right now.

Grateful that you shared this just now.

Carol said...

Good to read you again, hope to see you Thursday.